As students move into their Secondary School years, our curriculum continues to further develop fundamental subjects such as Maths, English, Science, Topic of Inquiry, Creative Arts, Personal Development Health and Physical Education. At Integrated International School, we understand that this is an exciting yet challenging time for our students who are undergoing significant physical, emotional and social changes. That is why our personalised teaching approach ensures each individual receives close guidance and support as they prepare for the next stage of their learning journey.
From 11 years old
Learning in Lower Secondary
At secondary level, Lower Secondary consists of Grades 7 to 10 which is a period of further exploration for students who have completed their primary education at our international school. Students are exposed to a higher-level of subject matter while being encouraged to ask questions that require more sophisticated thinking skills. Our experienced teachers guide students as they become independent learners with the skills, knowledge, confidence and understanding to appreciate their contribution to society. This helps the students better understand the crucial decisions they will make about their future and the role that they will play in the world.
As they continue their learning journey at our international school guided by the British curriculum, our secondary students will gain the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in today's modern world. The syllabus focuses on developing key skills, which are:
- Critical and creative thinking
- Ethical behaviour
- Information and Communication Technology competence
- Personal and social capabilities
- Intercultural understanding
Our lower secondary students will prepare to take our internal Integrated International School Examination (IIS Examination) which is conducted in Grades 3, 5, and 8. At our school, we offer external exams through Pearson Edexcel and Cambridge. These exams are available to students in Grades 6, 9, 11, 12 and 13. For Grade 12 and 13 students, the Cambridge exam is offered for AS/A Levels.
Our small class format with an exceptional student-to-teacher ratio (6:1) makes individual attention readily accessible and guarantees that the students reach their full potential. We have built our IIS syllabus upon the foundations of the British curriculum that covers the fundamental subjects:
- Students develop knowledge, skills and understandings about the English language and literature. They will learn to create and interpret a range of literary and factual texts.
- The study of the subject enables students to develop a positive self-concept as learners of Mathematics. They'll learn how to recognise and apply all forms of Mathematics in their everyday lives and other key learning areas.
- Our hands-on exploratory programme stimulates students' curiosity and helps them understand scientific concepts, skills, experiments and processes relating to Life, Physical and Earth sciences.
- The IIS programme aims to provide foundational learning in the art forms that continue in the subjects of visual arts, music, drama and dance.
Topic of Inquiry
- This subject is up to the teacher's discretion, as they can request students' input to discover what will peak their learning interests. For example, it could be a general subject like Geography or more specific topics such as learning the history of Singapore.
Personal Development Health and Physical Education (PDHPE)
- The PDHPE programme emphasises participation for all, with involvement in competition for upper primary students.